new kinect 1473

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
Hi everybody,

I just bought a new kinect camera and I've discovered that new model of kinect doesn't work properly with pcl wrapper. It appears a bit slower and I couldn't acquire a 2d camera image.
The same code works with my old kinect (model 1414) but it not works with the new kinect (model 1473).
Someone know how to fix it? Are there some new driver?

Thanks
Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator
Mauro,

Is that an XBox Kinect or a Kinect 4 Windows sensor?

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org

On 12/20/2012 06:48 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I just bought a new kinect camera and I've discovered that new model of
> kinect doesn't work properly with pcl wrapper. It appears a bit slower and I
> couldn't acquire a 2d camera image.
> The same code works with my old kinect (model 1414) but it not works with
> the new kinect (model 1473).
> Someone know how to fix it? Are there some new driver?
>
> Thanks
> Mauro
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.pcl-users.org/new-kinect-1473-tp4024909.html
> Sent from the Point Cloud Library (PCL) Users mailing list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
It's an xbox kinect sensor and I'm working under ubuntu 12.04 with pcl 1.6

Cheers,
Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator
Sehr interessant. Hmm, ok, so they're starting to change the firmware in between models. Can you test if avin2's Windows
patch happens to make it work? What does lsusb say? Did they actually change the VID/PID? Could it be that the sensor is
a lemon?

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org

On 12/20/2012 07:53 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:

> It's an xbox kinect sensor and I'm working under ubuntu 12.04 with pcl 1.6
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.pcl-users.org/new-kinect-1473-tp4024909p4024914.html
> Sent from the Point Cloud Library (PCL) Users mailing list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
I tried on windows sdk and something look strange because i couldn't start the camera, then I found this post
http://www.ni-mate.com/ni-mate-v1-12-is-out-why-processing/

and with this software, in windows 7, everything looks working (not the tilt motor, i don't know why).
I think something in the firmware changes and maybe the hardware of the camera because the lens looks a bit different from external side but i really don't know if it's true. Maybe it can be only the lens but not the sensor.

Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
the lsusb says:

Bus 001 Device 041: ID 045e:02c2 Microsoft Corp.
Bus 001 Device 043: ID 045e:02ad Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Audio
Bus 001 Device 045: ID 045e:02ae Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Camera


with lsusb -v says:



Bus 001 Device 041: ID 045e:02c2 Microsoft Corp.
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0 Unused
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  idProduct          0x02c2
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           0
  iProduct                0
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           25
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xe0
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 Unused
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
        bInterval              12

Bus 001 Device 043: ID 045e:02ad Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Audio
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  idProduct          0x02ad Xbox NUI Audio
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Microsoft
  iProduct                2 Xbox Kinect Audio, � 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
  iSerial                 3 A70774W05508237A
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           46
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              4 Config
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes           13
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Synchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x020c  1x 524 bytes
        bInterval               5
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes           13
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Synchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x004c  1x 76 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

Bus 001 Device 045: ID 045e:02ae Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Camera
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  idProduct          0x02ae Xbox NUI Camera
  bcdDevice            2.05
  iManufacturer           2 Microsoft
  iProduct                1 Xbox NUI Camera
  iSerial                 3 0000000000000000
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower               16mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            1
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0bc0  2x 960 bytes
        bInterval               1
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            1
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0bc0  2x 960 bytes
        bInterval               1
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

I hope this will help!
Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator
In reply to this post by Mauro Bellone
We should start documenting these issues. Can you help us take a few pictures of the unit, and maybe contribute to a RST
on pointclouds.org? I'm afraid that the Kinect and other PrimeSense sensors will start diverging soon, so keeping track
of all these early on will help.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org

On 12/20/2012 08:37 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:

> I tried on windows sdk and something look strange because i couldn't start
> the camera, then I found this post
> http://www.ni-mate.com/ni-mate-v1-12-is-out-why-processing/
>
> and with this software, in windows 7, everything looks working (not the tilt
> motor, i don't know why).
> I think something in the firmware changes and maybe the hardware of the
> camera because the lens looks a bit different from external side but i
> really don't know if it's true. Maybe it can be only the lens but not the
> sensor.
>
> Mauro
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.pcl-users.org/new-kinect-1473-tp4024909p4024925.html
> Sent from the Point Cloud Library (PCL) Users mailing list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
I'll be glad to contribute. You already wrote me to starting contribute! :-)
The pics are attached, (it was easy). How can I contribute to a RST on pointclouds.org?
What I should do?

 


The code 1414 belongs to the "old" kinect whereas the code 1473 belongs to the "new" kinect

this is the difference between the lenses:




The rest looks exactly the same.
Mauro
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator
Mauro,

Try looking at the current RST sources for tutorials or documentation from
http://dev.pointclouds.org/projects/pcl/repository/show/trunk/doc. You can create a similar RST file and then add it to
either advanced or tutorials and build it using make. You'll most likely see errors in some cases, where the formatting
is wrong. Also check out the official RST documentation at http://sphinx-doc.org/rest.html

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org

On 12/20/2012 09:11 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:

> I'll be glad to contribute. You already wrote me to starting contribute! :-)
> The pics are attached, (it was easy). How can I contribute to a RST on
> pointclouds.org?
> What I should do?
>
>
> <http://www.pcl-users.org/file/n4024930/2012-12-20_17_53_39.jpg>
>
> <http://www.pcl-users.org/file/n4024930/2012-12-20_17_53_52.jpg>
>
> this is the difference between the lenses:
>
> <http://www.pcl-users.org/file/n4024930/2012-12-20_17_56_40.jpg>
>
>
> The rest looks exactly the same.
> Mauro
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.pcl-users.org/new-kinect-1473-tp4024909p4024930.html
> Sent from the Point Cloud Library (PCL) Users mailing list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
Radu,
I spent whole day by tring to understand something about this problem ...

1) I tried to install libfreenect software from openkinect.org and it doesn't work with the new kinect whereas it works correctly with the old kinect

2) I analyed the error Invalid Index [0] kinect not connected ....

3) The pcl wrapper works properly with 3d point cloud and benchmarck (from here http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/openni_grabber.php#openni-grabber), but the colors look a bit stranges (I suppose that something in the camera changes)

4) my code with image wrappers doesn't work properly, it not acquire images but only black screen and erroneous data (it works with the old kinect)

5) As I wrote above the VID/PID look the same but it's strange to see that iSerial is 0000... and the device release number changes i think before was 1.0 (someone please should confirm this data, i would like to see what lsusb say for another kinect) and now is 2.05 ...

  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  idProduct          0x02ae Xbox NUI Camera
  bcdDevice            2.05
  iManufacturer           2 Microsoft
  iProduct                1 Xbox NUI Camera
  iSerial                 3 0000000000000000

the old kinect was

  idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
  idProduct          0x02ae
  bcdDevice            1.0b
  iManufacturer           2 Microsoft
  iProduct                1 Xbox NUI Camera
  iSerial                 3 A00366A08793039A
  bNumConfigurations      1

I'll write some rst as soon as I understand what's appening. I think that before i'll write a snippet of code for testing and insert an issue on dev.pointclouds.org forum.
What do you think?

Cheers,
Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator
Mauro,

On 12/21/2012 10:25 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:
> Radu,
> I spent whole day by tring to understand something about this problem ...
>
> 1) I tried to install libfreenect software from openkinect.org and it
> doesn't work with the new kinect whereas it works correctly with the old
> kinect

We do not support libfreenect. Open Perception is a member of the OpenNI organization and we would rather spend time
working with the hardware producers and have them ship the drivers to us, than reinventing the wheel and reverse
engineering unnecessary stuff. That being said, OpenNI has its issues too, but we're trying to work with PrimeSense to
fix things.

> 2) I analyed the error Invalid Index [0] kinect not connected ....
>
> 3) The pcl wrapper works properly with 3d point cloud and benchmarck (from
> here
> http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/openni_grabber.php#openni-grabber),
> but the colors look a bit stranges (I suppose that something in the camera
> changes)

I see - I'm not sure what could be different, other than they might have changed the RGB camera. Can you send a
screenshot? I'm curious to see what "weird" means.

> 4) my code with image wrappers doesn't work properly, it not acquire images
> but only black screen and erroneous data (it works with the old kinect)

If our openni_grabber works, and your code doesn't, that's a clue. :)

> 5) As I wrote above the VID/PID look the same but it's strange to see that
> iSerial is 0000... and the device release number changes i think before was
> 1.0 (someone please should confirm this data, i would like to see what lsusb
> say for another kinect) and now is 2.05 ...
>
>    idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
>    idProduct          0x02ae Xbox NUI Camera
>    bcdDevice            2.05
>    iManufacturer           2 Microsoft
>    iProduct                1 Xbox NUI Camera
>    iSerial                 3 0000000000000000
>
> the old kinect was
>
>    idVendor           0x045e Microsoft Corp.
>    idProduct          0x02ae
>    bcdDevice            1.0b
>    iManufacturer           2 Microsoft
>    iProduct                1 Xbox NUI Camera
>    iSerial                 3 A00366A08793039A
>    bNumConfigurations      1
>
> I'll write some rst as soon as I understand what's appening. I think that
> before i'll write a snippet of code for testing and insert an issue on
> dev.pointclouds.org forum.
> What do you think?

Sounds like a great plan! Can you try debugging your code to see what's the difference between that and our
openni_grabber demo?

Thanks Mauro!

Cheers,
Radu.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
Radu,

I agree with you when you say that "reverse engineering is unnecessary stuff", but I don't know how can I get the datasheet of the new kinect camera and see what's changed.  
In the last days, I tried the code in the trunk and I was able to solve the problem, I modified my code using your codes in the trunk. Now I'm working with pcl 1.7 and my kinect works. Btw the doubt about what's happened still remain. Below you can see two images with (almost) the same scenario acquired by the old and the new kinect respectively.


old kinect image


new kinect image

As you can see the image from the new kinect seems a bit blurred. What you think?

Cheers
Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator
Mauro,

I see. You're right, the images on the second kinect do look a little bit softer, but it might be just
auto-exposure/white balance triggering that. I do wonder if they made any firmware changes (some default parameters got
"tweaked" for whatever reason), or whether the hardware did indeed change.

In any case, it might not affect end user applications too much. Have you discovered any problems thus far after
processing the data?

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org

On 12/30/2012 01:18 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:

> Radu,
>
> I agree with you when you say that "reverse engineering is unnecessary
> stuff", but I don't know how can I get the datasheet of the new kinect
> camera and see what's changed.
> In the last days, I tried the code in the trunk and I was able to solve the
> problem, I modified my code using your codes in the trunk. Now I'm working
> with pcl 1.7 and my kinect works. Btw the doubt about what's happened still
> remain. Below you can see two images with (almost) the same scenario
> acquired by the old and the new kinect respectively.
>
> <http://www.pcl-users.org/file/n4025063/oldKinect.png>
> old kinect image
>
> <http://www.pcl-users.org/file/n4025063/newKinect.png>
> new kinect image
>
> As you can see the image from the new kinect seems a bit blurred. What you
> think?
>
> Cheers
> Mauro
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://www.pcl-users.org/new-kinect-1473-tp4024909p4025063.html
> Sent from the Point Cloud Library (PCL) Users mailing list mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Mauro Bellone
Radu,

I didn't discovered problems in processing data, however i didn't test it for long time so I can't say anything about it.  If I'll discover something about this issue I'll post it.
As you said, some parameter has been "tweaked", so is there any way in pcl to adjust it?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Cheers
Mauro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Radu B. Rusu
Administrator

On 01/05/2013 02:58 AM, Mauro Bellone wrote:
> Radu,
>
> I didn't discovered problems in processing data, however i didn't test it
> for long time so I can't say anything about it.  If I'll discover something
> about this issue I'll post it.
> As you said, some parameter has been "tweaked", so is there any way in pcl
> to adjust it?

No, I'm afraid we don't have a way to tweak something like that at the moment (if it's controllable via OpenNI to begin
with!). :(


Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://openperception.org
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

sleslie
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Mauro Bellone
Hi Mauro!

I am working with libfreenect and python, but i have the same problem with the model 1473... Could you please help me to find the modified code, that necessary to solve the problem?

Yours:
sleslie
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

ozgurovic
Hello,

The thread is old, but I have a problem with a Kinect Xbox, model 1473. Do you remember the openni version used with pcl 1.7? Because currently, PCL openni viewer sample is working with rgb data only. There is no depth information. openni viewer is not working at all. And the sensor managed to work with freenect drivers.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

josuerocha
I have the same problem. I am using PCL 1.8. Can anybody please explain me
what to do?



--
Sent from: http://www.pcl-users.org/
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new kinect 1473

Sérgio Agostinho
Can you be more specific? What is working/not working for you? What have
you tried so far?

Cheers


On 27-12-2017 00:13, josuerocha wrote:

> I have the same problem. I am using PCL 1.8. Can anybody please explain me
> what to do?
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://www.pcl-users.org/
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
> http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users