Octomap point type

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Octomap point type

kanezaki
Hi Kai et al.,

I have a question about point type in Octomap package from alufr-ros-pkg
repo. Currently each point in octree has a 3D vector for its position,
right? Would it also be possible to have the RGB values as 3 independent
data types (e.g. char) of each point in octree?
Furthermore, as our input data is of type pcl::PointXYZRGB, is it
already possible to use that one directly with octomap?

Thanks,
   Asako

--
====================================================
 The University of Tokyo
 Intelligent Systems and Informatics Lab.
 Asako Kanezaki [hidden email]
====================================================

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pcl.ros.org
https://code.ros.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octomap point type

Kai M. Wurm
Hi Asako!

On 12/01/2010 11:10 AM, kanezaki wrote:
> I have a question about point type in Octomap package from alufr-ros-pkg
> repo. Currently each point in octree has a 3D vector for its position,
> right?

Yes, each input point is a 3D point.


 > Would it also be possible to have the RGB values as 3 independent
> data types (e.g. char) of each point in octree?

The input points are not preserved in the tree. If you are thinking
of an octree-node type that stores color in addition to occupancy
probability: this would be possible indeed.

You just have to define your own node type that is derived from, e.g.,
OcTreeNode.


> Furthermore, as our input data is of type pcl::PointXYZRGB, is it
> already possible to use that one directly with octomap?

Radu and me have done some work on tighter integration of octomap into
ROS. I agree that it would be interesting to be able to integrate a
pcl::PointXYZ or pcl::PointCloud<PointXYZ> into an octomap directly.
We plan to release the new version of octomap by the end of the year.

Best, Kai



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pcl.ros.org
https://code.ros.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Octomap point type

kanezaki
In reply to this post by kanezaki
Hi Kai!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Actually we found another way to
get it, so we don't need octree for colored points now.

cheers,
   Asako

> Hi Asako!
>
> On 12/01/2010 11:10 AM, kanezaki wrote:
>  
>> > I have a question about point type in Octomap package from alufr-ros-pkg
>> > repo. Currently each point in octree has a 3D vector for its position,
>> > right?
>>    
>
> Yes, each input point is a 3D point.
>
>
>  > Would it also be possible to have the RGB values as 3 independent
>  
>> > data types (e.g. char) of each point in octree?
>>    
>
> The input points are not preserved in the tree. If you are thinking
> of an octree-node type that stores color in addition to occupancy
> probability: this would be possible indeed.
>
> You just have to define your own node type that is derived from, e.g.,
> OcTreeNode.
>
>
>  
>> > Furthermore, as our input data is of type pcl::PointXYZRGB, is it
>> > already possible to use that one directly with octomap?
>>    
>
> Radu and me have done some work on tighter integration of octomap into
> ROS. I agree that it would be interesting to be able to integrate a
> pcl::PointXYZ or pcl::PointCloud<PointXYZ> into an octomap directly.
> We plan to release the new version of octomap by the end of the year.
>
> Best, Kai

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
https://code.ros.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users