Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Billy
Hi,

I got a package not found error when trying to install the Kinect driver from the Ubuntu PPA. Specifically:

sudo apt-get install ps-engine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package ps-engine

Everything else in the PPA works fine; I got a few examples running perfectly. I also tried the freenect Kinect driver and it works perfectly as well. It's just the OpenNI Kinect driver that I'm having problems with.

Someone had posted about the exact same problem six months ago:
http://www.pcl-users.org/installing-dependencies-for-pcl-in-ubuntu-14-04-td4036597.html

Has anything changed since then? Is there still no binary OpenNI driver for Ubuntu 14.04?


Here's the output of lsusb:
...
Bus 002 Device 012: ID 045e:02ae Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Camera
Bus 002 Device 011: ID 045e:02ad Microsoft Corp. Xbox NUI Audio
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 045e:02c2 Microsoft Corp.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
Hi Billy,

* Billy <[hidden email]> [2015-04-24 20:58]:
> I got a package not found error when trying to install the Kinect driver
> from the Ubuntu PPA. Specifically:
>
> sudo apt-get install ps-engine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree      
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package ps-engine

Where did you get this information? It's really outdated.

> Has anything changed since then? Is there still no binary OpenNI driver for
> Ubuntu 14.04?

OpenNI is available within Ubuntu 14.04, it's called libopenni-dev. If
you want to use it with the Kinect, make sure to install
libopenni-sensor-pointclouds0 as the driver package.

Cheers Jochen

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Billy
I didn't realise the information was outdated. That was totally my bad.

I installed libopenni-sensor-pointclouds0 now, but I'm still getting the "No devices connected" error.

I see a /etc/udev/rules.d/55-primesense-usb.rules file mentioned in other threads (http://www.pcl-users.org/libusb-OpenNI-permission-denied-Kinect-amp-Ubuntu-td3720915.html)
but I don't have such a file on my machine. Could it be that I'm still missing some other package?

Thanks again for the help,

Billy



On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Jochen Sprickerhof <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Billy,

* Billy <[hidden email]> [2015-04-24 20:58]:
> I got a package not found error when trying to install the Kinect driver
> from the Ubuntu PPA. Specifically:
>
> sudo apt-get install ps-engine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package ps-engine

Where did you get this information? It's really outdated.

> Has anything changed since then? Is there still no binary OpenNI driver for
> Ubuntu 14.04?

OpenNI is available within Ubuntu 14.04, it's called libopenni-dev. If
you want to use it with the Kinect, make sure to install
libopenni-sensor-pointclouds0 as the driver package.

Cheers Jochen

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
* Billy Zhou <[hidden email]> [2015-04-26 17:17]:
> I installed libopenni-sensor-pointclouds0 now, but I'm still getting the
> "No devices connected" error.
>
> I see a /etc/udev/rules.d/55-primesense-usb.rules file mentioned in other
> threads (
> http://www.pcl-users.org/libusb-OpenNI-permission-denied-Kinect-amp-Ubuntu-td3720915.html
> )
> but I don't have such a file on my machine. Could it be that I'm still
> missing some other package?

That file should be on your system as
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libopenni-sensor-pointclouds0.rules.

Apart from the obvious stuff (reboot, power plug), I have no idea.

Cheers Jochen

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

VictorLamoine
Administrator
Hello,

If Jochen instructions doesn't work, please try the instructions on this thread:
http://www.pcl-users.org/Can-t-use-Kinect-in-Ubuntu14-04-tp4033666p4035318.html

I use the Kinect without any problems on Ubuntu 14.04
Bye
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Billy
Thank you for all your help, guys.


On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM, VictorL [via Point Cloud Library (PCL) Users mailing list] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

If Jochen instructions doesn't work, please try the instructions on this thread:
http://www.pcl-users.org/Can-t-use-Kinect-in-Ubuntu14-04-tp4033666p4035318.html

I use the Kinect without any problems on Ubuntu 14.04
Bye


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://www.pcl-users.org/Missing-Kinect-driver-for-Ubuntu-14-04-LTS-tp4038100p4038114.html
To unsubscribe from Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing Kinect driver for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Jochen Sprickerhof
Administrator
I guess your camera has the 1.09 (Carmine) chip inside, which is only
supported starting with version 5.1.2.1 of the SensorKinect driver. Have
a look here for more information:

http://www.pcl-users.org/Carmine-1-09-support-td4026939i60.html#a4031586

Cheers Jochen

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] / http://pointclouds.org
http://pointclouds.org/mailman/listinfo/pcl-users

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment